"Let the 75th Hunger Games Begin! And may the odds be ever in your favor."
Theme: Topic vs. Theme Activity
By the end of this unit you will be able to:
- Analyze the relationship between theme and the characters, setting, and plot in a fiction text.
Today's Goal: Identify themes in a short story and support them with examples.
To find the theme of a story, you must first focus on general topics addressed in the story. Next, ask yourself, what "life lesson"
does the author want me to understand about that topic?
Theme vs. Topic:
1. What one-word topics were addressed in the short story, "The Wooden Bowl"?
2. What "life lesson" does he author want me to understand about that topic? Your themes should be written as a complete sentence.
3.What evidence from the story supports this theme?
4. Can you think of examples from other stories or your own life that support this theme?
- What are some topics in Catching Fire
- Practice writing theme statements
- Practice supporting the theme with evidence from the book