1. Unit 2 Vocabulary Notes
2. Type 1 Prediction
3. "The Faithful Elephants"
4. Objective Summary Writing
5. Using Text Evidence to Support Theme
- objective summary - a shortened version of the text that highlights its key points
- theme - a message about life or human nature that the writer shares with the reader
- central idea - the main or most important idea about a topic
- relevant - closely connected or appropriate
- interpretation - figuring out what something means
- opposing - two things that work against one another
- viewpoint - someone's perspective on the issue
Summarize the central ideas of the story as you read.
Remember, summaries should only include central ideas
and the most relevant details.
1. Read lines 1-21. Summarize the central ideas of this section.
(Your summary for each section should be 2 or 3 complete sentences.)
2. Read lines 22-46. Summarize the central ideas of this section.
3. Read lines 47-62. Summarize the central ideas of this section.
4. Read lines 63-78. Summarize the central ideas of this section.
5. Summarize the central ideas of the final section of this story.
List 2 possible themes for this short story.
Support each theme with details from the text.